SailNet Community - View Single Post - Small compressor for diving.
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
Here's a tip from someone who uses an electric hookah every day to earn his living, and has done for fifteen years- any oilless compressor will work. They don't make a small compressor specifically designed for diving applications, every commercially available consumer-level hookah from Brownies on down is repurposing a compressor that was intended to do something else. That being said, while a cheapo, Home Depot special will do the job, there are better alternatives. Yes, they cost more. But they will last longer. But maybe you don't care since you will only be diving on your own boat. Whatever- it's your dime.

Here is the compressor most professional hull cleaners use, if they are using a hookah:

The Thomas 1020 is available at ToolBarn.com and Amazon.com. They generally run about $325. They are lightweight, rugged and durable. I, and all my divers, use them without exception.

Here's another tip- the link above shows some hookahs built around standard, off-the-shelf compressors. My guess is the compressors are cheap Chinese knock-offs. At least one is plumbed with steel reserve tanks. Not only are reserve tanks generally unnecessary, IMHO, but mild steel tanks like these will rust out in short order, leaving you breathing mud. The fact that this web site is selling hookahs based on inferior compressors is a big red flag, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook