SailNet Community - View Single Post - A Discussion of the Philosophies of Cruising and Circumnavigating
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
Simple answer is circumnavigation is what happens when you cruise far enough.

If your bucket list includes enough places you will have to follow certain well-traveled routs. Read Jimmy Cornell's "WORLD CRUISING ROUTS". You will by necessity be pushed seasonally to make certain way points and to avoid major storm zones by time of year. You can certainly hop off that train for a spin of the planet or two but you still need to get out of the way of the Hurricanes, cyclones, typhoons.

Nice lists above by the way. I'm not sure of the order but these are the musts:
sextant & paper maps
life raft, EPIRB, manual water maker
water maker
lots of tankage both fuel and water
SSB, Pactor modem & printer
VHS (we have one on deck and one at the Nav station and a hand held)
Dink with enough HP to pull the boat to safety
Bimini or pilot house
self steer wind & Autopilot
solar and wind generation
Fridge & Freezer
Chart plotter
Radar
Plenty of good ground tackle. We presently carry 4 different anchors and 300 ft of chain on the primary. I am considering adding a ROCNA 55 KG

I've sailed since I was 10 on dozens of boats from boards through 45 footers. I raced for over 25 years on a variety of boats and very successfully with the same crew for 18 years. I highly recommend a long stay with a good crew of close friends. We are now making plans to retire and my Dear Wife suggested we find a boat large enough for comfort and safety and see the snow less places. We bought a hurricane damaged Camper & Nicholson 58 ketch and are three years into restoration. Hope to launch in the spring in Muskegon, Michigan. We will sail the Great Lakes for a few years to learn our boat in "friendly waters". We will exit the St Lawrence to the North Atlantic and turn right only according to the admiral, my DW.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook