SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing watch
Thread: Sailing watch
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Each person's idea of a specialized "sailing" watch will vary widely, since we all have different requirements. Aside from the expected attributes of being waterproof (depth-rated) and maintaining absolutely accurate time, other variables such as taste, fashion and status have an effect on wristwatch choices.

Personally, I like simplicity, but demand the best quality and proven performance in my watches. Since I engage in many types of water sports, including wreck diving, sailing and kayaking, the watch needs to be very durable as well. My favorite watch is a Tag Heuer Aquaracer Automatic, with blue dial, saphire crystal and stainless bracelet. It's a basic watch with only a calendar, following the "less is more" philosophy.

While diving, I rely on separate console computers for life support monitoring. When sailing, the helm-mounted instruments provide all the info I need. My needs are specific and will vary with others - just as yours should. The Tag, even discounted, cost me well over $1,000.00, so it is a bit over your budget of $200.00. Remember, if you're just a daysailor, leave the complex chronographs to the professional air pilots and Americas' Cup skippers. It is my opinion, within your price range, you will just substitute quality for quantity. I would suggest you start by going to your local jeweler and checking out whatever appeals to you and your budget.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 03-15-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook