SailNet Community - View Single Post - Surface-mounted ports
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010

scraph is on a distinguished road
I have to mention that, for my specific solution, distributing the stresses from the fasteners to an evenly distributed stress over the entire area of the lens that is contacting gasket material eliminates shear stress.

Shear stress is caused by a difference in axial stress over a distance. Distributing axial stress eliminates shear stress. Shear stress and bending are the stresses that lead to cracking.

So, there you go, my specific proposal eliminates shear stress by distributing axial stress. You mention the few "right ways". I am responding to this specific article. It does, by any means, suggest a mounting method free from stress concentrations. My modification to it greatly alleviates the issue.

Also, distributing this axial stress allows overall axial stress to be greatly lessened. Simply tightening the hardware into a distributing frame instead of straight into the lens lets you tighten the hardware much less to achieve the same effective gasket pressure.

If someone does attempt my solution, I'd definitely recommend radiusing the edges of the frame in contact with the lens.

Last edited by scraph; 01-03-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook