SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need advice on buying first boat (please!)
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010

HorizonDefeater is on a distinguished road
Need advice on buying first boat (please!)

Hi everyone!

I recently received my ASA sailing certifications and am now about to purchase my first sailboat. It will be a used boat and I have found several possibilities in the area that I live in. I am not interested in racing at the moment. Just cruising / living aboard when necessary.

I was wondering if you could provide me any advice regarding the following possibilities:

----

Boat 1: Catalina 25 (1982)
Link: Catalina 25 1982 Sailready… Price REDUCTION !!! Must Sell!!
Description: Classic Catalina 25 sailboat with a Great Sound fiberglass hull, is very comfortable and sails great! for all types and experience levels. A very stable, a safe family boat for intercostal cruising, in good condition.

Boat 2: 28' Cal Jenson Sailboat
Link: 28' CAL JENSEN SAILBOAT-- READY TO SAIL $3950 OBO!!!
Description: Just reupholstered; custom v-berth mattress; stainless steel fridge and microwave; Ready to sail- enclosed outboard motor, 5 sail

Boat 3: Sailboat 26' Ericson
Link: REDUCED ** Sailboat 26' Ericson This Boat Rocks, Super Shape
Description: This pocket cruiser was designed for comfort, speed and strength built at time when the hand laid fiberglass was much thicker. It has full encapsulated keel (no keel bolts to maintain) resulting in a very smooth ride. The deck and hull were refinished with Awl Grip and Bottom was sanded and paint only 2yrs ago. Rich Mahogany Wood Interior, 110v Shore power, new battery charger, professionally maintained. 6hp longshaft Evinrude and Autotiller autopilot

Boat 4: Columbia 26 ft. (Inquiring about details)
Link: Sail boat for sale

----

Would you recommend / not recommend purchasing any of these boats? Or do any of them raise any concerns with you? Do any of these boats have a reputation for being reliable / non reliable?

Any help / guidance would be greatly appreciated. I am excited to be a first-time boat owner, to be a member of this community, and for the adventures that rest ahead!

Best.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook