SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A Sail with Courtney

67K views 186 replies 49 participants last post by  cardude 
#1 · (Edited)
My wish for the New Year, A Sail with Courtney.

We are organizing a sail in rally/rendezvous on Saturday August 28th in Racine, WI. We would love to have you join us if possible. If you cannot make it to the rendezvous we would still love to have you join us on that date in honoring Courtney's memory where ever you are, and those of other victims of breast cancer, and to make sure that she is never forgotten.

As many of you know Bubb's (Mike) daughter Courtney lost her tragic battle with breast cancer, a year ago last September, at a very young age. http://www.anything-sailing.com/memo...ight=forgotten I was very touched by Courtney's story when Mike was so generous to share it with us all. The thread was titled, "My Wish for the New Year, One More Sail with My Daughter."http://www.sailnet.com/forums/off-topic/39494-my-wish-new-year-one-more-sail.html If you have not read it, you owe it to yourself to do so. You will not be the same after you do.

As the "In Memory of Courtney" thread says, Courtney was afraid she would be forgotten. No one that age should have to worry about something like that, and it's a thought that really touched me and has stuck with me. While I couldn't do anything to help Courtney, I think we ALL can do something to make sure she is NOT forgotten.

See less See more
#2 ·
Although i have been a member of Sailnet for several years, I only started participating in the forums last year. It was just shortly after Courtney passed. I became curious about the references to Courtney I would see from time to time, so a few months ago I did a search. I came upon the thread you mention "My wish for the New Year, One More Sail with My Daughter" I started to read the thread and became more and more amazed at what I was reading. The compassion of the sailnetters, the love shown by all, the strength exhibited by Bubb, not to mention his courage and generosity in sharing this with the people on Sailnet. I also began to know somthing about Courtney, a person I had never met, but who was obviously a testatment to the spirit. I was moved by her courage and determination, her selflessness in trying to help others around her. I t is obvious that she was a very special person and I wished to have known her. After reading that thread, I wanted to say somthing. I wanted to let Bubb, and the others who were with her, in body and spirit, during that difficult period, that I understood what the references were all about, what they meant, why they were important, but I did not know how. I felt awkward somehow to all of a sudden start a new thread that tried to say.."hey, I getit, and thanks, and I am sorry for your loss, and ,well I didn,t know what to say . So I just decided to say nothing, but everytime I saw those refernces to her I would remembered too. Everytime I would go outside and look at the stars, I would think, out there is a star that belongs to a very special lady. Thanks for giving me this oportunity to express myself. God Bless Courtney and Bubb, heres to you, I don't think I need to tell you why. Rick

#3 ·
Wish we could be there.

#4 · (Edited)
That was a very nice thought T34C. I still get goose bumps when I think about all of this. I just reread most of the thread and it's amazing how one situation got all of us involved in a forum with one purpose in mind...to never forget Courtney. Yes, my eyes are teary after reading this again. It's a great reminder how life can be quickly taken away from us. Courtney, you have taught us much with your courage. You will never be forgotten. As we enter 2010, Bubb and Courtney....I remember you both, will try to not take life for granted, count my blessings and appreciate the people who surround me. Be good.

Ray

#5 ·
Sometimes timing is everything. I just met bubb 2 hours ago. Sailhog, Tim, and he pulled in a couple of slips down. I had to drive into town for an errand. As I walked past their vessel I looked up, and saw a huge orange moon coming over the horizon. I stopped as I stepped aboard, and gave Courtney a thought. I looked at the moon, and smiled as I stepped inside. I turned on the computer, and here's this thread. She gave me inspiration, and from now on every orange moon will belong to her.;) .......i2f

#6 ·
I would love to see this become an international event where we all, no matter where we are, take some time on that day for a Sail with Courtney. If you can't sail on that day, just take a minute to remember her and maybe say a prayer for everyone that is fighting their own battle with that terrible disease.

#7 ·
T - this is a great idea. Well done dude.

Sailing with Bubb and his son, and meeting his wife was honestly a huge, huge honor for me. I truly admire and respect all of them - and understand now a bit more how special Courtney was through their lives.

God bless you guys - and if I can't make it to WI, I'll definitely remember her, and say a prayer for all the fighters.

#13 ·
I am currently looking for some Pink Ribbon type flags that we could all fly on our boats on that day. That could tie together multiple events. If they can be found at a decent price, maybe we could raise a couple bucks for the Young Survival Coalition, a charity that Courtney was fond of.
Young Survival Coalition

#15 ·
If there's a Chesapeake chapter of the Courtney fan club, we're there! If there isn't a Chesapeake subgroup yet, let's start one.

#16 ·
Bubb (Mike), Sailortjk, and I just sailed from HHI to Green Cove Springs, Florida over the past day or so and I've gotten to know Mike very well. He is one gem of a human being. That's all I can say. I never met Courtney, but a few of us got the chance to commiserate with her via Sailnet and the mail before she passed. She was wonder and her daddy loved her so.

#22 · (Edited)
The evening of Dec 31 we were clearing Hilton Head Island and heading for open water. When we got Hawg's boat settled down under sail on the rhumb line to Jacksonville, Tim told me what Jim (T34C) was planning.

Jim, I can't tell you how taken back I was. My heart skipped a few beats. My family and myself will support you 100% in this endeavor.

Courtney would/will be overwhelmed that a day in her name will be designated to bring together Friends and family, Sailors and her cancer sisters. If we could put a couple dollars together for the Young Survivors Coalition it would be all the better. This is how she would want to be remembered. It is just so right! Thank you so much!

Jim, the timing of your announcement did not go unnoticed. Courtney was born under a full moon and she left us under a full moon. Many of the major events of her life happened under a full moon. I took the helm of Hawg's boat under a full moon the night of the 31st. 1000 yards out in front of the boat the moon light was hitting the water with such a brilliant shimmer. I sailed all night letting the moon light on the water guide me. I didn't have to look at the GPS. Yes, that moon beam was Courtney showing us the way.

#24 ·
The rendezvous in Racine will be at Skipper Buds Reefpoint Marina.
Skipper Marine - Wisconsin : Skipper Marine - Wisconsin

This is a great facility only 1 1/2 blocks from downtown Racine and all the eating, drinking, and shopping anyone could want. They have offered us a group discounted rate for this event of $1.30/ft per night as long as we have 10 or more boats.

Can someone locate a good spot for the group that is forming in the Chesapeake? Anyone want to be the lead for that group? I'd be happy to help remotely.

#33 ·
Can someone locate a good spot for the group that is forming in the Chesapeake? Anyone want to be the lead for that group? I'd be happy to help remotely.
I'd be glad to be the POC for the Chesapeake group but be advised that we can't really do anything before about May when we expect to be back in town.

#25 ·
Courtney is def smiling about this. It continues to amaze me and warm my heart that our family wasn't the only ones who saw how special Courtney was. I will def try to be there. Will there be flags for us landlubbers to fly on our land yachts (aka Ford Winstars ;) )?

#27 ·
So deeply touched

Words can not even begin to express how I am feeling right now. I am bawling like a baby over the continuing amount of support my family has gotten over this past year from friends near and far. We are truly blessed to have each and every one of you in our lives. Courtney would be so completly thrilled that all of you care this much not just about her but about everyone that this disease has affected. Courtney took the time even when she was ill to make it a point to be there for young women like herself who had been newly diagnosed. So although this may be titled Sailing with Courtney her spirit will not be the only one with us that day filling our sails, as we take the time to remember her and the other wonderful spirits that have left us. If there is anything I can do to help out message me. I am looking forward to this more then you guys will ever know, thanks again to everyone for all your kind words and well wishes. I cant wait to ride the waves and drink a beer with you all soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.