SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 380
Thread: Catalina 380
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2001
JeffH

Catalina 380

I am not all that familar with the 380 but I lately I have run into a number of individuals who have purchased new Catalinas in recent years. They described a list of manufacturing problems that were far more extensive than I would have found acceptable including one boat that the owner described as having almost every piece of deck hardware installed without caulk. He discribed a nightmare like experience of trying to Catalina to cover anything under warrantee. He personally spoke to Frank Butler, owner of Catalina, who he felt was personally blocking the warrantee approval.

After that conversation I began to talk to other buyers of new Catalinas to see if that was an isolated incident and the owner mentioned above had a more extensive list of warrantee items than the others they all reported the same difficulty with getting warrantee work and having it denied at the factory. In two cases the dealer said that work was under warrantee but after the work started they said that the warrantee claim was denied.

I would love to hear otherwise from people who have purchased but based on what I heard in those three conversations, the warrantee problems alone would be enough to prevent me from buying a new Catalina.

Respectfully
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook