SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pratical depth limits when setting anchor
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
How do you figure 100 ft for every 10 ft of depth? At 7:1, it should be 70 ft for every 10 ft of depth (measured to your anchor roller or chock). So if your depth is 30 ft, and your anchor chock is maybe 5 ft above the waterline, you're talking about 7 * 35 = 245 ft of rode. (No tides to worry about on the lake, and I assume you don't plan to stay anchored long enough to worry about seasonal depth variations).

Also, keep in mind that the 7:1 rule assumes you plan to spend a while at anchor--like overnight, when you really don't want to drag. If you're actively fishing, then you're probably also keeping a close anchor watch, and you're probably not that close to other boats or shallows. If a storm comes, you'll probably weigh anchor and head home. You're in a position where dragging would be an inconvenience, rather than a catastrophe. You could probably get by with well less than 7:1.

I've done lunch with as little as 3:1 in my Bene 31 on Lake Lewisville (with a fortress anchor on a muddy bottom). I was nervous about it, but it held. And even if it dragged, it would have been no big deal to start the engine and reset it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook