SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pratical depth limits when setting anchor
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010

MazeRat7 is on a distinguished road
Great input but there are a couple of points I need to clarify. First, yes I'm talking about overnighting since the best fishing is pre and post dawn (according to her). Hence I'm going to be in one spot for a while. Second, I've got a little over 4+' of freeboard so a 10' water depth + 4.5' freeboard = 14.5 * 7 = 101.5 for the 7:1 Third, I've got about 10' of chain on 150' of rope.

That being said, I like where Tempest is heading with all this. I don't think I would overnight with 3:1, but 5:1 maybe if I knew those crazy Texas winds were going to be somewhat calm while out. Dragging can be an issue since my lake is basically a river channel or canyon. Long, but not very wide. If I break loose in the night, I'll be aground rather swiftly. The tree stumps are a pain. I had to have a diver friend retrieve the danforth from my C22 after it became entangled. That was only a #8.
Sounds like the best I can hope for with the equipment on board is about 20' water depth using something around 5:1. I'm pretty sure I can heave it to deck once free and hence why I will try motoring up to it prior to hoisting.

Also, dillybar may be onto something. I've not considered how to apply mechanical advantage via fenders, blocks, or existing winches. Hummm. I'll need to "study" on that.

Thanks again folks. I'll be giving it all a try this weekend. Who know what the outcome will be.

Peace,
Maze
1985 Catalina 36 Tall #404
s/v Peace of Mind
Austin, Tx.

Last edited by MazeRat7; 01-05-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook