SailNet Community - View Single Post - NADA no longer providing prices older than 1975
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
No doubt that is a part of it.
No one in the marine industry has taken NADA seriously for years. Their values have been about as accurate as a drunk shooting darts from 40 yards. They could just as well drop all boats as garbage in = garbage out.

Quote:
Do you really think there is a significant difference between a (for example) 1974 Columbia 26 and a 1975 Columbia 26?
It does not matter what you or I or NADA think. Boats are not valued like cars and unfortunately that is how NADA tried to apply its formula. Boats are valued on, condition, market, what an buyer is willing to pay, what buyers have paid for similar models and the selling prices from soldboats.com. Some models have actually gone up in value and good brokers and surveyors, who value boats for a living, understand how to more closely asses the value of a boat than NADA..

Quote:
Prior to a month or two ago, NADA was able to accomplish that feat.
I guess that all depends on how you define "accomplish". If you define it as putting inaccurate numbers, apparently compiled using the drunk & a dart board method, then posted on a web site that where they are often off as much as 50% from real and actual sales data then, yes, I guess they "accomplished" valuing boats..

Quote:
I know they went back to 1970, at least and am fairly confident they went back to 1968 which is the oldest year for my model.
They could have gone back to 1923 but bad data, is still bad data, and completely useless in the whole scheme of things.

Quote:
There were also a lot of boats built in the 60s and 70s that are still chugging along. Yachtworld lists 562 sailboats under 51 feet for sale in the US and Canada built between 1970 and 1974. 1270 for 1970 to 1979. Definitely fewer boats in that era but I think there is something else going on here.
Yes there is something else it is called Soldboats.com and it uses actual selling prices as reportedby brokers ans sales agents afiliated with Yachtworld.com.

As I mentioned before Soldboats.com is the ONLY close to accurate measure we have to value boats. Surveyors use it, yacht brokers use it and this is generally how values are defined, with ACTUAL selling price data, as reported by brokers. Brokers DO NOT report data to NADA so any data they post is prety much pure guess work, not accurate and basically a good way for either a seller or buyer to get screwed.

Quote:
I'm guessing they did a 25 year whack of the data for bean counting purposes right around the decade mark. Which would make sense if they printed paper versions. But storage is practically free in the computer world.
Perhaps they dropped it because they realized that they had no place guessing at this data and decided to be kind to people and stop posting bogus figures that meant squat..

If you want close to accurate values find a good broker and they will usually print you a list from soldboats.com of sold comps so you'll have a range to work with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-06-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook