SailNet Community - View Single Post - Folding vs Feathering Prop - views requested
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
Why are you looking at a prop change? Are you racing and want to get maximum performance or are you cruising and want a good compromise of sailing and powering?

For all out racing, a folding prop is best generally. However, the propeller will not do a very good job trying to power into rough weather and will make the boat hard to control in reverse. The units do also have wear parts which means they will need rebuilding from time to time.

For cruising, a compromise prop would be a feathering one. They have significantly less drag than a conventional fixed blade unit but still provide good motoring performance. One drawback that I have run into is that they cost a lot and need to be rebuilt from time to time. The max props seem to hold up for a while before needing rebuilding but my experience with a luke prop was that it needed rebuilding quite often. The luke wheel is not a common unit but it did actually fail a couple of times (it is a 32X20 so the smaller ones might be better). These feathering units also have the tendency to hook on lines so if you sail in places like Maine, you have to be careful.

Another option if you are looking for improved cruising performance is the campbell sailor. I have no experience with this propeller but it gets good reviews and may fit your circumstances well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook