Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
Join Date: May 2006
Thanked 121 Times in 109 Posts
Rep Power: 11
Very good news, Bruce, although you need to get that leaky hatch and leaky tank fixed!
Maybe we can sail in convoy if you take long enough to make the boat the way you want it for the longer hauls.
Certainly, it's doable. My tales of "brisk air" have raised enough eyebrows back here in Toronto to make me think that a week of half-gales with bonus squalls is more wind than usual apart from the Southern Ocean...and not for a second did I feel unsafe or particularly concerned aboard your boat. She's "well found" in every sense.
Bruised, yes, but I can't blame the boat.
Say hello to June for me. I bet those 40 knot squalls at 5 in the morning convinced her she's got the right stuff to pull off a circ.
good to hear from you. We are planning to take off from Florida next November. I think we may have a buddy boat at least from Panama for a while. It is a St Francis 50 cat so it might not work since they are much faster.
Leaky tanks are fixed and the hatches are temporarily fixed until we can get the right adhesives and primers.
A hint for your boat - have all of the ventilation you can manage for the tropics. We have everything open all the time and it is winter here
After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.