SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single-handed cruising
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I believe when wind magic gets more experience , and especially cruising, his ideas will change drastically. I would prefer a windvane over an electric autopilot, but I would want both if I could. A windvane to actually handle the wind, and a small autopilot to handle no wind. You don't need much of an autopilot to steer when there is no wind .

Try hanking on sails alone when the big stuff hits the fan. Your body will be leaving the deck while trying to hank on sails, or you can do like me. Stuff yourself under the jacklines to stay on the deck .

A prudent sailor will furl the headsail before it's a problem. If you have a cutter like myself as typed before, just furl the genny some more, and she's gone with the stysail working. Many headsails with have a couple of reefing marks on the foot of the sail. Usually you will find by the time you reach the second reef it's time for the stysail anyway, because the head sail has lost some of it's effeciency.

If these furling headsails are so bad! Then why do all the BIGTIME sailors doing the Southern Ocean, or the complete world using them ?

Everybody gets through life differently, and that includes sailing too. Do your research, and gather knowledge from the forums. I personally think you are on the right track with your thinking.

My personal thought on sailing the islands. An electric autopilot over the wind vane, and a windvane when you cross oceans. ......BEST WISHES.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook