SailNet Community - View Single Post - Somali Pirate situation - general
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLin View Post
Has anybody thought about the conduct of European and Asian fishing fleet depleting the ocean, and wiping out all forms of life off the coasts of Africa? In the end, local communities have no means of subsistence. Personally, i would become resentful to see large foreign fishing vessels taking away my livelihood and the future of my children. Destroying the marine environment right in front of my eyes: Can we call that another form of terrorism?

I am not trying to justify kidnapping, no, no no..

But the fishing policies of western nations have dire implications and consequences for the already impoverished and vulnerable locals. It is sad.
I'm trying to remember or a pirate attack on a fishing vessel....

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the over fishing problem needs to be addressed desperately but that is an issue for the UN, not pirates.

The pirates have made it clear that they are in it for the money, not social justice. Now if the pirates gave all the money to the government to purchase a couple warships to protect their waters from over fishing? Well then they could say they had a cause (not a right or justified cause mind you) but they are taking the money are living the high life.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook