SailNet Community - View Single Post - Folding vs Feathering Prop - views requested
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
In stormy or very agitated seas probably this propeller is marginaly less efficient than the standard one. On those rare conditions were the speed of the boat varies constantly because big waves are stooping the boat I believe that there is some loss in efficiency (because the pinch is changing all the time), but I am not sure.
My understanding of what is going on and why differs with that assumption of "less effciency". The "Auto" in AutoProp gives a fantastic Bite when needed and 'de-pitches' when not.... such as when you have sail up to aid in propelling the boat by its unique design. So I carry that forward to assume that when "big waves are stopping the boat" it goes to max pitch and bites hard - just like when you are starting from a stop - in either direction (the blades switch around to always face the same way into the resisting water). I have had AutoProps on 2 different boats and although I can't claim any perfectly scientific A to B tests if price is not an issue AutoProp has done all it claims to do for me.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook