SailNet Community - View Single Post - First sail boat...
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I have a 2003 MacGregor 26M sailboat and it is just fine for its' intended purpose, inland lakes or protected coastal waters. I sail in the Pacific Northwest just off the coast of British Columbia, Canada and on the inside of Vancouver Island among the Gulf Islands and San Juans. It is perfect for this venue. It is a price point boat and is targeted at a specific income level but I have found it to be a very good first boat and very forgiving. It is cookie cutter manufactured and has some unfinished aspects when new but if you buy it used the PO will have rectified this. Take a look at some used ones with lots of extras added to them so that you do not have to do it. If you decide you don't like it after a season it will sell literally overnight, people are always looking for them because of their price and versatility. I have enjoyed mine for seven years now and my biggest pet peave with them is the skinny beam and lack of fit and finish but I have already taken care of the fit and finish with my own creativity. Like all other boats it is a compromise, just moreso because it is a hybrid, but that can be a blessing for many folks. Try one before you take the advice of someone who has never been on one, they are not as bad as some make them out to be. They also have more room below than any other boat in the 26' range bar none. For a beginner boat you can not go wrong.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook