SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tablet PC for Display
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006

Valdare is on a distinguished road
I had used the Capt'n with USB port for gps on my IBM think pad for about 5 years. Have had no problems what so ever. I use one of those not skid pads on my navagation table. It fell off once, but no damage. I never brought the lap top out of the cabin, can not see screen.I take the laptop to the Virgin Islands when we plan on leaving the BVI area. Works great. All charts are available on line these days for no cost. I paid about 200 plus for the Virgin Islands a few years ago.
When I purchased the E series last year from Raymarine for my Morgan 384 here in the Great Lakes last year, my intent was to use my laptop below. In order to do that I had to purchase the Raymarine charting program, $900.00 I think. What I did instead this winter was purchase the portable key board, intalled a flat screen below, now I can do everything
below that the E series does in the cockpit. Plus I have a DVD and tv for less than $700.00.
Radar is also displayed below on the flat screen. Only in 20 Inchs instead of the 9" as in the cockpit. I won't even need my glasses.

Should be way cool.

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook