SailNet Community - View Single Post - Folding vs Feathering Prop - views requested
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The boat took a steep big wave and the autoproop ajusted for power, the boat went down the same wave and the propeller adjusted for speed. Almost imediately it started to climb another one and the propeller tried to ajust for bite, but with so much fast changes in pitch, de overall bite was not good.

As jrd22 as said: "You do need to use more throttle from a stop compared to a fixed blade" and as the boat was always trying to gain speed, just to be stoped by the next have, I believe that in these conditions a fixed prop woud have been more efficient.
Thinking overnight I may have the auto-pitch adjustment bass ackwards in my head but I have never been without all the power I needed. The waves you are speaking of are 2-3 times more than I have ever seen..... and I plan to keep it that way. The only 'test' I have ever given my AutoProp was straight into a 20kt wind with an opposing tide in L.I Sound creating very steep, short period 5-6 footers (not meters ). There was salt water raining from the rigging but I was holding 5-6kts easily with only a slight increase in throttle. Maybe unlike your experience my Auto was always in Power mode and never coasting down your much higher waves so it just kept pulling like a tractor ignoring the waves completely.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook