SailNet Community - View Single Post - Folding vs Feathering Prop - views requested
View Single Post
post #20 of Old 01-08-2010
MJBrown
October Moon B43

Had an Autoprop on a 36'er and loved it. The pitch was perfect from the beginning but the boat did prop walk something terrible but I'm not sure if it was the boat or the prop. I got used to it and used to my advantage when approaching or leaving docks. Picked up apx 3/4 kt of speed under sail alone and suspect an equal amount under power. Always drove the boat consistently strong. The worst conditions were 30kts on the nose, 5-6' chop for 6hrs and never a problem. You do need to make sure you grease the hubs when you haul the boat for painting, etc. Otherwise a blade can hang up and cause vibration at low speeds. The only real issue was longevity. Seems the prop we had experienced some corrosion to some internal portion of the bearing race. As it was not a replaceable part it's expected that prop at some time will have to be replaced. Not sure if this was an issue with this particular prop or not. Traded the boat so will never know.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome