SailNet Community - View Single Post - Folding vs Feathering Prop - views requested
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010

FlyinNOE is on a distinguished road
I installed a Flexofold on my 40' Beneteau Oceanis 2 months ago. Since then we have sailed 300 miles with the new prop.

I ordered straight from the US distributor here:
Flexofold Low Drag Folding Sailboat Propellers for Racers and Cruisers

Beautiful prop (I had it on my desk for a few weeks at work before the install!).

Performance wise there is a .5 to .6 knot difference between it folded and not folded. If I am sailing VERY slowly and I slowly motor down to neutral I can trick the prop into “windmilling” like my fixed prop used to with the sails driving the boat. I can be sailing 2.5 knots in light wind and hear it turning (if I managed to motor down correctly). Once I go down and grab the prop shaft and slow it slightly you can hear the blades fold and the boat accelerates .5 to .6 knots. I have done this a few times to verify the results and to prove the difference to friends.

Motoring is more efficient (same hull speed with 300-400 RPM less engine speed) and backing is identical to my old fixed prop.

Customer service was excellent.

The anode covers the working parts and pieces thereby reducing the likely hood of the prop being fixed by marine life.

Hope this helps.

Brian-
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook