SailNet Community - View Single Post - Day Sailers w/large cockpit and head?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2001
JeffH

Day Sailers w/large cockpit and head?

It sounds like you are looking for a ''weekender'' as they used to be called that type of boat. Performance wise it should rate somewhere around 174, and costs less than $10K.

The first boat that comes to mind is a J-22 some of the early ones has an minimal interior with vee berth, quarter berths and a marine toilet. Around here most have been ordered completely stripped for racing.

There was a Kirby 23 that was a Sonar with a cabin and a self-bailing but smaller cockpit but I never really liked them all that much compared to the Sonar which I always liked. You might be able to install a head and quarter berths in a Sonar pretty cheaply.

Another choice might be a Ranger Formula Un (FUN). They were pretty cramped down below.

A couple other but slower posibilities is the C&C 22''s called Bluejackets and Grampian Classics. I owned one of these and really liked the boat. you can typically buy these 1900 lb fin keelers for $2K to $4K in very nice shape. I cruised mine all over the Chesapeake and had an easy time sailing to her rating. I even beat J-24''s boat for boat on occasions but those wins were partially tactical rather than simply boat speed.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook