SailNet Community - View Single Post - Day Sailers w/large cockpit and head?
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 07-14-2001
JeffH

Day Sailers w/large cockpit and head?

It sounds like you are looking for a ''weekender'' as they used to be called that type of boat. Performance wise it should rate somewhere around 174, and costs less than $10K.

The first boat that comes to mind is a J-22 some of the early ones has an minimal interior with vee berth, quarter berths and a marine toilet. Around here most have been ordered completely stripped for racing.

There was a Kirby 23 that was a Sonar with a cabin and a self-bailing but smaller cockpit but I never really liked them all that much compared to the Sonar which I always liked. You might be able to install a head and quarter berths in a Sonar pretty cheaply.

Another choice might be a Ranger Formula Un (FUN). They were pretty cramped down below.

A couple other but slower posibilities is the C&C 22''s called Bluejackets and Grampian Classics. I owned one of these and really liked the boat. you can typically buy these 1900 lb fin keelers for $2K to $4K in very nice shape. I cruised mine all over the Chesapeake and had an easy time sailing to her rating. I even beat J-24''s boat for boat on occasions but those wins were partially tactical rather than simply boat speed.

Jeff

Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome