SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just temporary, but it should hold
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Irwin32 View Post
No, but I'll take a longer photo tomorrow so you can see more of that area....I meant the "boom stay".
Irwin, when you say "No" above, what are you referring to?

Scotty is essentially correct.

You appear to have an older boom that was originally fitted with roller reefing. Roller reefing allowed the sail area of the mainsail to be reduced by wrapping it around the boom. It was a very poor way to reef a sail, resulting in lousy sail shape, and was largely abandoned. Most owners who had roller-reefing boom arrangements eventually converted over to conventional slab reefing, as appears to be the case with your boat.

So the broken fitting at the end of your boom is really a vestigial organ. Scotty's suggestion to add a boom bail or two as a replacement for the broken end-boom fitting, is a good one. Very inexpensive, too. For more information on boom bails, see What is a Boom Bail?

Also, don't worry about the terminology. Most of us can usually figure out the intended meaning based on the descriptions. But it's always good to improve terminology, just for the sake of simplifying communication. With that in mind, I'll reiterate what Scotty said about the "dutchman" system you mentioned further above, i.e. it is not related to the photos or the hardware you've shown here. Strictly speaking, you do not have a "dutchman main", instead you have a conventional mainsail that is fitted with a topping lift and dutchman lazyjacks.

I will also confess that I am not familiar with the terminology "boom stay".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook