SailNet Community - View Single Post - Annapolis to Black Island
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I think alot depends on what you want to do, when you get there. If you want to spend time on the island, swim, bike-ride, Hike, and hang out in shorts and a bathing suit...end of June..July and August. early sept..

I'd stay clear of the 4th of July though, and Race Week, it gets very crowded, unless you like crowds. Mooring balls become hard to find...anchorages get tight, and the marinas raft you up 4 across at the dock. Last year, I discovered that folks sail their boats to block a week or so before the 4th...and leave them on a mooring ball..and take the ferry home...Just so they can have a spot for the
4th of July. Why? because a week on a mooring ball..costs less than one night in a slip..

Winds can be unpredictable, last year around the 4th, we had everything: Windless days, Rain, and then clocking systems with everything from 10-15's up to 15-25's. from every point... You can usually count on Fog..

The best combination of wind, warmth, warm water and fewer crowds..might be early sept? But, then, I'd go anytime thoughout the summer! Keeping clear of the 4th. ( unless you get there early and get a spot)

IF you go outside from Cape May, it's about 35 hours..+ or Minus...If the prevailing SW winds have set ..you should get a nice ride

Last edited by Tempest; 01-11-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook