SailNet Community - View Single Post - London Boat Show 2010
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
I'll be interested to hear more about the Southerly. One aspect in particular that I'm curious about, is its ability to "dry out" in extreme tide ranges. Will the tripod created by the twin rudders and keel keep the boat upright, or are "drying out legs" necessary to prevent careening?
Hi, John

The rep at the show said that Southerly boats dry out flat on their bottoms with no need for legs. Apparently, the keel and keel box are both made of iron, and the box is rather wide like a shoe. He claimed that winter storage was particularly easy-- drop the boat on a railroad tie on the front and back, and no tie downs needed because the weight in the boat is so low.

The low center of gravity is also something the Shards liked about the Southerly boats-- tankage, engine, etc or low in the boat, and they are reported to be quite seaworthy (Sailing Magazine | Southerly 110). I'm intrigued because here in the UK, a good percentage of harbors dry partially or entirely, and if we could take her to the Bahamas some day, even better. There's also lots of canals in Europe to explore.

I also liked that the Yanmar was shaft drive, and the prop enclosure is strong and protective when the boat is on the hard:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook