SailNet Community - View Single Post - London Boat Show 2010
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
Hi, John

The rep at the show said that Southerly boats dry out flat on their bottoms with no need for legs. Apparently, the keel and keel box are both made of iron, and the box is rather wide like a shoe. He claimed that winter storage was particularly easy-- drop the boat on a railroad tie on the front and back, and no tie downs needed because the weight in the boat is so low.

The low center of gravity is also something the Shards liked about the Southerly boats-- tankage, engine, etc or low in the boat, and they are reported to be quite seaworthy (Sailing Magazine | Southerly 110). I'm intrigued because here in the UK, a good percentage of harbors dry partially or entirely, and if we could take her to the Bahamas some day, even better. There's also lots of canals in Europe to explore.

I also liked that the Yanmar was shaft drive, and the prop enclosure is strong and protective when the boat is on the hard:

That's a good looking boat, so it balances on the retracting keel and the twin rudders? Does the keel have to be retracted before it can sit on the bottom? I really like the color if that particular boat, it's one of the colors I'm considering painting mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook