SailNet Community - View Single Post - London Boat Show 2010
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
That's a good looking boat, so it balances on the retracting keel and the twin rudders? Does the keel have to be retracted before it can sit on the bottom? I really like the color if that particular boat, it's one of the colors I'm considering painting mine.
I believe the bottom is flat and the keel box is wide and heavy, so the rudders can stay clear of the ground and still have the boat well-balanced. The Prop skeg is also part of ground contact.

What's cool is that the keel is iron and heavy, but it isn't locked down when lowered. You can use it to feel around a shallow bay, and simply raise it when it taps something. It's a push-button hydraulic system, controlled from the helm, for raising and lowering the keel, and it's designed to be adjusted under sail-- down to over seven feet when sailing to windward, and then adjustable to all the way up when running down wind. It does need to be all the way up when drying out the boat, and there's a manual pump and lever in case the electrics are out.

I like that the rudders stay off the bottom, and it's nice that there are two since the hull is relatively flat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook