SailNet Community - View Single Post - I'm just a poor boy. Is this just fantasy? please advise.
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsteve View Post
I have a relatively small amount of money saved ($15,000), I know in the boat market this is an insubstantial amount of money. I have been casually shopping for boats online and there seems to be quite a few old boats that meet my basic requirements for under $15,000 dollars.
I am looking at the January edition of “Voile et Voiliers”, a French mag. On the front page you can see a guy sitting in a miniscule sailboat, half hidden by big waves.

The title is “3 Years, 6 meters, 30 000 miles, an incredible solo circum navigation in a dayboat” (freely translated).

The boat is really incredible. I am sure that the guy paid for it a fraction of the money you have for a boat. It´s an old, old boat and it is a lake boat.

Another mad guy that was lucky, the vast majority of the readers of this thread would think.
Well, personally I would not disagree, but reading deeper I found out that the guy has a PhD in electronics and is a Sail monitor (course and cruising) with more than 10 000 miles experience.

And being lucky for 30 000 miles and three years is an improbability. A hell of a sailor for sure…and a lucky one also.

By the way, this guy was not trying to prove anything, that boat was the best he could find with the money he had.

Bottom point: If you have the manual skills and recover an old boat, probably, if you don’t count the hours you are going to spend working, in the end, when you sell it again, in much better shape, you will not lose money and meanwhile you will have been sailing and living on a boat.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook