Chesapeake to North Topsail, NC, coastal day-sailing in Atlantic??
First post to SailNet, so I hope I'm in the right forum.
My extended family is thinking about renting a large home on the beach in North Topsail, North Carolina. I wonder about the possibility/advisability of taking my sailboat (Hunter 28.5) down the Chesapeake, into the ICW, and keeping it at one of the local marinas on the New River. The idea is to have the boat for sailing on the New River or coastal day-sailing on the Atlantic in that area. I'm guessing at least 3 days Deale, MD to that part of the ICW and then back.
My questions for folks--either NC sailors or not--knowledgeable about that area:
(1) what is the sailing like in that area?
(2) does it matter that Camp Lejune is right there, any restrictions?
(3) Is it possible to sail on the ICW, even with lots of tacking back and forth?
(4) what's the weather like end of June?
(5) what else should I be thinking about??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.