SailNet Community - View Single Post - Camp stove, where to use?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by leland515 View Post
Thank you for the reply, I'm planning a trip over spring break also, when it will be bearable to cook inside.
I just needed to know if I could cook inside without blowing up
Hi Leland,

On our previous boat (which had a kerosene stove/oven), we would often use a camp stove during summer months to avoid heating the cabin up so much. We primarily used it out in the cockpit, though.

You should be okay, fumes-wise, as long as you have plenty of ventilation.

The bigger problem I see, however, is the tendency of camp stoves to spill their contents when unstable. Most backpack-style camp stoves have a small footprint, and are moderately stable on a level, steady surface. Aboard a boat you should be able to find a flat surface, but steady is often another story.

Be careful with it, especially if there is any wave action or potential for boatwakes while you're using it. It can be perfectly stable one moment, then the next you can have a pot of stew all over the place. Ask me how I know. Try to find a contained area, down low (the cockpit sole might be okay). You might set the stove inside a large metal pan, to catch any spills or contain problems. Also, keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Take some precautions, use your head, and you should be okay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook