SailNet Community - View Single Post - Camp stove, where to use?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Leland I use a camp stove exclusively, up until now one of the white gas stoves, but soon I am changing over to a multi-fuel stove that will allow me to use kerosene and white gas. You can do pretty much anything with the camp stoves except baking and roasting, and you can even bake small things if you suspend one container inside of another. You can't use a dutch oven on a gas stove, it just doesn't produce enough heat to get the oven up to temperature, you'll need a camp fire for that.

So ...
  • Roasting ? No, better to use a dutch oven on shore w/ a campfire.
  • Frying ? Yes, w/ a skillet.
  • Boiling ? Yes, w/ a pan.
  • Baking ? Only small things like a single muffin w/ two pans one inside the other, better to use the dutch oven on shore w/ a campfire for major baking and for things like pizza.
  • Deep frying ? No, not enough heat to get the oil to temperature, and who would want to have scalding oil on top of an unstable camp stove anyway ? Better w/ a dutch oven or deep frying pan and a campfire on shore, let the fire burn down to coals to reduce ash in the oil.
  • Slow cooking ? No, dutch oven on coals is better for that, camp stoves don't have a low enough simmer to slow cook like w/ a crock pot and it would use too much fuel even if they did.
  • Pressure cooking ? Absolutely, w/ a pressure cooker.
  • Pressure canning ? Yes, but not ideal, the canners are physically too big for the stoves.
  • Grilling ? No, better to do this over a campfire on shore.
  • Steaming ? Yes, if you put a small container inside of another container, I do rice that way by using a small ceramic container of rice in a pressure cooker that has water in it.
  • Etc ...

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 01-12-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook