SailNet Community - View Single Post - Motor Mounts on Yanmar
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRelyea View Post
yeah ... I've got a yanmar 3gm30 ... and a little thought about the post height would have supplied my own answer ...

I do have a drive saver too ... so ... I'll start a new post rather than hijack this one any further! Thanks ARF145
It's not a total hijack, so I'll throw one more note out there--to align with a drive saver, you just need to remove the saver and pull the shaft in a bit so you can align metal to metal. When the alignment is good, reconnect with the saver in place.

I embarked on that little journey of discovery last summer while having someone "just" do this for me because I was afraid to mess with the shaft while in the water--visions of water gushing in. Removing the saver revealed a shaft that protruded past the end of the coupler into the saver center, preventing mating them up. Had them saw that off on somewhat of a deadline for a trip, but that revealed that the coupling was warped and couldn't be aligned anyway. We put it back together and got a rough alignment that got us through the season. But I'm having shaft, coupling, and cutlass bearing replaced, and while we're at it, a nice PYI seal done this winter. $$ but hopefully

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook