SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Tahiti to New Zealand

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  piclarke 
#1 ·
Need one crewmember (male or female) or one couple to sail onward from Tahiti in July. I am circumnavigating and looking for longer term crew (8 weeks minimium). Stopping at the Cooks, Niue, Vanuatu, etc. Hope to be in New Zealand no earlier then December for hurricane season.
You pay your own way to and from the boat and a daily rate for food/fuel, harbor expenses, etc. About $8 to $12 a day. Minimal experience required but you should know if you get motion sickness. Additionally you must post a bond, in many countries, equal to airfare home (about $1200 to $1500), though this is returned when you leave.
Boat is a 37' Lagoon Catamaran (owners version), watermaker, ssb, gps, radar, watermaker, etc. It is an easy sailing boat and in very good condition. Plans are to spend enough time in each area for water activities and hiking.
No drugs, smoking on deck only, light drinker and in decent health and condition.
email Peleka7@yahoo.com

#2 ·
Spike_dawg said:
Need one crewmember (male or female) or one couple to sail onward from Tahiti in July. I am circumnavigating and looking for longer term crew (8 weeks minimium). Stopping at the Cooks, Niue, Vanuatu, etc. Hope to be in New Zealand no earlier then December for hurricane season.
You pay your own way to and from the boat and a daily rate for food/fuel, harbor expenses, etc. About $8 to $12 a day. Minimal experience required but you should know if you get motion sickness. Additionally you must post a bond, in many countries, equal to airfare home (about $1200 to $1500), though this is returned when you leave.
Boat is a 37' Lagoon Catamaran (owners version), watermaker, ssb, gps, radar, watermaker, etc. It is an easy sailing boat and in very good condition. Plans are to spend enough time in each area for water activities and hiking.
No drugs, smoking on deck only, light drinker and in decent health and condition.
email Peleka7@yahoo.com
For the record crew members do not have to post a bond with the authorities in the Pacific Islands of the South Pacific nor does the Captain/Owner for that matter. If a vessel enters a Island nation with crew the vessel must leave with all crew declared on the crew list. If not under their laws the Captain is responsible for all Accomondaton - meals - Transport- airfares, not the crewmember or crewmembers. So don't be sucked in by this person telling incorrect happenings in the Pacific Islands.

:) :D

#3 ·
For your record

If you only knew what you were talking about.

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/FrenchPolynesia/?rc=Formalities

paragraph titled documents.

I'm not taking their bond money you ignorant jerk. If it is a requirement to post then they will post it. They get it back when they leave the country.

Nearly every country has some entry fee and harbor fee.

This isn't a commercial vessel. It's a private yacht. A crew agreement is quite typical, you ignorant ass. Why don't you talk about something you know about?

#4 · (Edited)
Tahiti To New Zealand

Spike_dawg said:
If you only knew what you were talking about.

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/FrenchPolynesia/?rc=Formalities

paragraph titled documents.

I'm not taking their bond money you ignorant jerk. If it is a requirement to post then they will post it. They get it back when they leave the country.

Nearly every country has some entry fee and harbor fee.

This isn't a commercial vessel. It's a private yacht. A crew agreement is quite typical, you ignorant ass. Why don't you talk about something you know about?
I know what I am talking about junior member. I had to pay a fare in Samoa for a crew member who left the boat as the authorities would not let me leave untill I did so , stating I arrived with the crew and it is up to the captain to get them out off the country. It was a private yacht. In Dec 2005 in Tonga as a crew member and with 2 other crew members we put a writ on the vessel as the captain would no pay our accomodation or airfares out off Tonga. Immigration advised it was the Captains responsibility to pay all debts, food, accomodation, taxis, buses, ect while in Tonga. The police, immigration fully coperated and the police put a officer outside the boat to make sure he went no where. The next morning he paid up so he could be cleared. The Police also presented him with a bill for wasting them their time before he could leave. It was a private yacht and in each occassion no bond was require. So I do know what I'M talking about as I have first hand experiences. It"s only skippers, who try to bluff crew members, so as to get out off their responsibilities. Believe me I know. I was just putting the record straight, as it really is. What happened to your crew to get to Tahiti that you now require additional crew. I like the way you express yourself when communicating with others {crew} ?

:D :p :cool:

#5 ·
And you still reply though I posted the facts. Thanks for ruining my post with your ignorance. I shall do the same to your posts attempting to drum up business. Who wants to have an ignoramus like you aboard?

“It is best to be thought of as a fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.”

All doubt is now removed. You are an ignorant ass. My boat is in Hawaii. The current crew plan to leave when I get to Tahiti.

#6 ·
Unfornately your facts are wrong and you dont read the disclaimer notices on websites my fine feathered friend - particularly noonsite. I can see why the crew don't wish to carry on past Tahiti with you. As you say you get the bond back when you leave Tahiti so why don't you post the bond as all reasonable Captains do when required. I suggest you carry on past New Zealand as I don't see you being an asset to New Zealand or it's Citizens. I respectfully suggest P.N.G. Are you going to appologize for your stressfull outbust or do I get an apology by other means. A pity about the missadventure your vessel is going to encounter on route to Tahiti. I did not realize the sun was so hot in Hawaii I bet you are An American too.
:D :p :cool:

Spike_dawg said:
And you still reply though I posted the facts. Thanks for ruining my post with your ignorance. I shall do the same to your posts attempting to drum up business. Who wants to have an ignoramus like you aboard?

"It is best to be thought of as a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

All doubt is now removed. You are an ignorant ass. My boat is in Hawaii. The current crew plan to leave when I get to Tahiti.

#9 · (Edited)
Spike_dawg said:
You moron. Noonsite is Cornells site. Now you are smarter then him.

Go to the France Embassy site and look it up. Same for Cook Island tourism site.
This vessel is now in New Zealand untill March / April 2007 and will be looking for crew possibly going to Vanuatu. Unfortunately the passage to New Zealand did not clear his mind or improve his well being. He is just as abusive and ruder than previously. He is a great sailing advertisement for his country.

Also for the record I sailed To Tahiti on a American vessel in may 2006
We all entered Tahiti without posting a bond and the authorities stipulated the Captain had to pay my airfare back to New Zealand, accommodation, food, and taxi to the airport untill such time as the plane departed.

I also have been to the cook Islands and did not have to post a bond.

My credentials can be viewed at

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~philclarke/crew.htm
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~philclarke/Weather.htm

#10 ·
Tahite to New Zealand

piclarke said:
For the record crew members do not have to post a bond with the authorities in the Pacific Islands of the South Pacific nor does the Captain/Owner for that matter. If a vessel enters a Island nation with crew the vessel must leave with all crew declared on the crew list. If not under their laws the Captain is responsible for all Accomondaton - meals - Transport- airfares, not the crewmember or crewmembers. So don't be sucked in by this person telling incorrect happenings in the Pacific Islands.

:) :D
I don't think you understand the situation. If I went as crew, I would expect to be totally responsible for my expenses, bond (if necesary) and also responsible for all expenses such as food, lodging and transportation back home, just for the opportunity of doing the passage. I think you are assuming that the crew for some reason is not capable or not willing to be responsable for these expenses and then this responsibility will surely fall on the captain. It's not like your being hired to do the passage, this is an opportunity to do the passage and you agree to pay for your fair share of the expenses. I've done this a dozen times and looking forward to many more opportunities. Glad I'm not sailing with you.

#11 · (Edited)
Re: Tahite to New Zealand

I don't think you understand the situation. If I went as crew, I would expect to be totally responsible for my expenses, bond (if necesary) and also responsible for all expenses such as food, lodging and transportation back home, just for the opportunity of doing the passage. I think you are assuming that the crew for some reason is not capable or not willing to be responsable for these expenses and then this responsibility will surely fall on the captain. It's not like your being hired to do the passage, this is an opportunity to do the passage and you agree to pay for your fair share of the expenses. I've done this a dozen times and looking forward to many more opportunities. Glad I'm not sailing with you.
I understand the situation only to well.

You are entitled to voluntary do as you do, but it's not mandatory and inexperience crew need to be aware of their rights when dumped in a foreighn land. Their lives could be at risk as well.

Please read.

Forum List Page

:)

#13 ·
1. The 8 - 12 dollars per day is paid by the crew member, not the captain, I believe.
2. This thread is 7 years old.
3. Why would you start name calling? If you don't think it's a good deal then move on. I, for one, would be happy to pay 8 - 12 dollars per day for an incredible experience.

#14 ·
I was replying originally to the poster, as an education, information posting for inexperienced crew.

For the record crew members do not have to post a bond with the authorities in the Pacific Islands of the South Pacific nor does the Captain/Owner for that matter. If a vessel enters a Island nation with crew the vessel must leave with all crew declared on the crew list. If not under their laws the Captain is responsible for all Accomondaton - meals - Transport- airfares, not the crewmember or crewmembers. So don't be sucked in by this person telling incorrect happenings in the Pacific Islands, which is still relevant today.

Sailor 37 replied and I replied to his posting a few days ago.

No body has been name calling with my recent posting.

For further arguments re who, how much should pay

Read

Forum List Page

Thanks

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.