SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gulfstream Crossing with Northerly Winds
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 01-14-2010
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I cruised as a liveaboard for 7 years in the 90s doing most of the Atlantic circuit from Wales in a well sorted 38 foot steel ketch.

Getting caught out in the gulfstream when a mini low formed and it went to the north and blew 20 knots off south Carolina was by far the most unpleasant experience I had. I was more or less centered in the stream and intending to go around Cape Hateras as I had a clear forecast for 10 to 15 knot SE winds and no sytems of note. It was the only time I had green water on the foredeck on a consistant basis. The only time I felt that it might be dangerous to turn the boat beam on to the seas.

The sea state changed in less than an hour from a comfortable 6 to 8 foot swell to 8 to 10 feet steep sided breaking waves with frequent changes in direction. Every so often several seas seemed to get together and form a much larger breaking wave. Fortunately I was able to run for Murrels Inlet with a quartering sea but it was difficult to steer and several times I punched the bow deep into a wave and had to worry about the integrity of the windows in the hard dodger. I had a powerful autopilot which was totally unable to cope.

I was really grateful to be able to follow a shrimper into the inlet. Several items which were well lashed down on deck were lost. Had I had the typical cruisers board with jerry cans lashed to it they would have gone too.

That was not fun at all.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome