SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lightning Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006

depthwish is on a distinguished road
shocking.experience

sorry.for.the.periods.again.no.spacebar.
yes.I.was.struck.by.lightning.off.of.chicago.about .2.years.ago.
we.came.through.a.squall.trying.to.get.in.and.were .faced.with.a.horizon.that.was.black.as.coal.
I.sent.everyone.down.below.and.put.on.my.foul.weat her.gear.
I.think.we.were.lucky.that.the.boat.was.wet.as.it. spread.the.hit.over.a.larger.space.
It.basically.blasted.my.hands.off.the.wheel.a nd.when.I.could.hear.again.I.was.so.glad.to.hear.m y.atomic.4.engine.still.running.
We.lost.all.the.electronics.and.anything.plugged.i nto.the.shore.power.110.system.
At.first.I.thought.it.was.a.near.miss.as.I.saw.the .flash.about.20.yards.off.the.starboard.beam.
I.later.learned.that.the.masthead.was.struck.and.t he.bolt.travelled.down.the.starboard.topshroud.and .when.it.got.to.the.imbedded.
chainplate.spat.out.the.hull.leaving.about.a.5.inc h.circle.of.delamination.and.a.pellet.sized.hole.o ut.the.hull.of.the.boat.
Since.then.I.have.read.up.some.and.asked.some.ques tions.
1...you.need.a.good.ground.from.your.standing.rigg ing.and.your.mast.and.the.water.whether.it.is.a.pl ate.on.the.hull.a.direct.connection.
to.an.external.keel.or.(in.my.case).4.10.foot.leng ths.of.1/4.inch.chain.and.a.quicklink.which.I.hang.off.of.t he.shrouds.on.both.sides.so.if.I.am.
under.sail.I.have.4.points.of.ground.into.the.wate r.on.both.tacks.
it.deploys.quickly.you.can.have.it.set.up.within.5 .minutes.of.spotting.foul.weather.
2...as.for.the.electronics.good.luck.I.have.instal led.inline.fuses.on.a.lot.of.stuff.and.set.up.two. separate.fuse.blocks.for.everything.but.
as.I.understand.it.with.lightning.it.can.jump.righ t.across.the.fuse.block.without.even.noticing.it.h as.blown.the.fuse.
I.know.in.my.case.the.old.style.socket.fuseholders .on.my.boat.were.blown.into.the.engine.compartment .like.little.22.bullet.
I.highly.recommend.a.hand.held.vhf.on.board.as.it. may.be.the.only.communication.you.have.after.a.str ike.

""lightning.never.strikes.the.same.place.twice....to o.bad.I.moved.my.boat""
Eric.Branson
"Zarathustra"
Islander.37
Chicago.Il.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook