SailNet Community - View Single Post - Suddenly inherited old boat
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006

StillInShock is on a distinguished road
I always wanted a sailboat

Hi, and thanks for replying...

It's a 36' Cascade, with a Yanmar 3M Deisel. It's been neglected for 10 years.

When we hauled it out last week, the old zincs just fell off to the ground like mud. The propeller shaft and strut were completely electrolyzed away (there's 2 grand).

When we got the prop off (I was trying to pull it off by hand until one of the boatyard shop guys stopped me lol), we found that it was the wrong shaft size (and much too big for my 20 hp engine) - not sure what to do about that because I have found out that prop size is a complicated issue.

I did get a survey on Monday but have not gotten the results yet, but I do plan to make my list from that.

I think the mainsail is toast, and I haven't gotten a good look at the other sails yet.

The engine has not been started for 10 years, so we are giving it a tune-up and are going to try to start it when we get it back in the water (hopefully soon! ).

If that goes well, I can motor it 60 miles to where I live, then fix it up at my leisure.

Whew! It's a lot for me. I've sailed on other people's boats, but of course I always left the docking to the owner. I'm little and the boat is big, so we'll have to see how that goes.

I live in the Puget Sound area, so there's a lot of sailing and cruising to be done. Somebody's got to do it, might as well be me

Suzanne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook