SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bluewater - 1980 Hunter 33 or 1973 Contest 33
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010
captain mike

capt13 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation My two cents!

I have lived aboard sailboat in south Florida for the last decade. The truth is that the 1980's Catalina, and hunters are cheap built crap. They came out the factory with the cheapest winches, and equipment they could put on them, and the build quality of the glass is inferior to the 70's production boats. Go with something that was built better like an old colombia, or a morgan or cape dory.
The Morgans are priced to sell and are more blue water quality than a hunter. here is a link on a nice 34 morgan for sale that is better than both the boats you are looking at, and for $11,500.00 you would have a much better sailboat for cruising on. Morgan 34 sailboat for sale I have lived on a 1979 San Juan 24, and a 1968 Colombia 28ft, 1975 Grampian 28ft. And If I could go back I would buy a Morgan over all of them. If your going to go out into blue water I would say look around before buying anything cause if its priced really low, and seems to good to be true, It probably is ! Good Luck and Fair winds.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook