SailNet Community - View Single Post - Drive shaft bearing
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010
Somewhat Flexible Member

ssneade will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by weephee View Post
Thanks ssneade for your reply. The replacement bearing is 3 inches long. How do I get the old one out without removing the shaft. Do I just chip away at the outer sleeve until I can get onto it with some vice grips and pull or is there another way. Thanks
normally the bearing housing is bolted to the keel which requires only unbolting it and sliding it off the shaft. then you can better examine the housing to see if the sleeve is pressed or bradded in. if not, shaft removal may be necessary......

shaft removal is not that big of a job. soak the coupling down with some good quality penetrating oil and let it sit a few days. loosen the coupling set screws, then remove the coupling bolts from the clutch. back shaft away from the clutch and spray again with penetrating oil. tap on the coupling where it fits on the shaft with a ball peen hammer (ball side) slide the shaft all the way to the stuffing box and apply some locking pliers to the shaft exposed outside against the cutlass bearing. then tap the flange side of the coupling from side to side to work the coupling from the shaft. remove the key from the shaft if it didn't come off with the coupling and slide it out of the keel. do not get discouraged. there is not much room to work in there, but it can be done............

at this point you can service yer stuffing box as well.........