SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sold the ********

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  carl762 
#1 ·
Well, I'm officially divorced from motorboating. I sold my 1972 Glastron "Swinger" (Yeah, baby!) tonight.

When I say ********, I really mean it. It had a 1972 Chrysler 70 hp 2-stroke on it. It ran hard, but boy was it smokey. The best thing I can say about that boat was that it taught me basic construction, and how to fiberglass. I learned to use Kitty Hair, West Systems epoxies, chopped mat and woven roving.

Now I have a little change in my pocket for the sailboat. :D

#3 ·
BubbleheadMd,
Congrats on getting rid of 'smokey joe', your stink pot. It got you out on the water, taught you some basic maintenance and now it somebody else's problem and you have more cash for your new 'blow boat'.
I have been following your postings and have concluded that you are anything but a 'Bubblehead'. I am not sure if the 'Md' is for Maryland or 'MD' as in doctor so I guess I assume you are in the state of MD. You don't have to explain how you arrived at 'BubbleheadMd' but I am curious anyway.
Congrats on the sale of the motor boat.

#4 ·
I am one of the few members on the board that admits to liking powerboats (well, certain kinds) almost as much as sailboats. So I'm sorry to hear you sold it, but glad to hear you can roll the money into more goodies for the sailboat!:)

So, how much money can we help you spend?:D :D :D :D

#6 ·
to answer the ? his screen name is in reference to the fact that he was a corpsman on subs, there are no doctors on subs just a corpsman and sub guy call them selfs bubble heads, myself included.

i like power boats and would love to have a nice big one, but the fuel bill is the breaker. the boat i would want would probably burn 1.5 gallons per mile cruising. heck even a 24 foot boat will burn 50 bucks a day just going puttering around

#9 ·
My job requres I test PWC's and Jet Boats. The PWC's are a lot like a dirt bike, at least at speed in a chop like we ususlly have in Tampa Bay. I enjoy them but they wear me out faster than my dirt bike! The stand-up's are the most fun but I can only ride one of 'em for about 10 minutes before I'm done. The Jet Boats can be a blast, they handle like a sports car and they look really sexy.

But every time I would get out on the water I'd start thinking about sailing and how much I enjoyed maxing out at 6 kts, beer in one hand and tiller in the other. So, I passed on quite a few good deals on Jet Boats we sell and got back into sailing.

So far, no regrets.

DB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.