SailNet Community - View Single Post - Oh My, job loss, lifestyle change & living aboard
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Hi Karen,

You have already received some great replies (esp. kd3pc), so I will keep mine short.

These are hard times, and you're not alone in wondering about the future. See the Market Crash - are we there yet thread for more on the situation, and inciteful replies to where we're heading.

You mention that you are up to the challenge of living aboard. How does your husband feel? How about your 13 year old son? Realize that living on a sailboat will make you all much more, uh, "intimate". You all have to be committed to the decision, and the lifestyle, in order to make it work.

Assuming that you actually want to sail somewhere, while I admire your spirit, but the risks that you mention have been all your own (jump out of a loft - break your leg, fall from a tree - break your arm, caught by a bull - you get gored, [forgive my ignorance, but what can a pig do to you?]). Assuming that you are in North America or Europe, there is always help readily available and nearby. Cruising on a boat requires that everyone know how to operate the vessel, and appreciate the risks and consequences of their actions and inactions. To relate it back to your examples; caught unprepared in a storm - ALL hands lost. You can't call for an ambulance when you're 10 miles from shore. When you do call for help, it's going to take time to get there.

Jumping in to a new lifestyle would be hard enough. Adding to the stress; the need to acquire new skills, your propensity toward seasickness, and the substantial outlay on a new-to-you vessel, (maintenance, insurance, etc., etc.) would be, IMHO, irresponsible.

Also, I've been out of work for over a year, and keep looking, but have no prospects at this time. Good luck to all of us, and may 2010 be better than 2009!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook