SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1 Week Charter in Abacos
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 01-19-2010 Thread Starter
1 Week Charter in Abacos

I have booked a 1 week charter with the moorings, in Abacos. Other then the fact that 1 week is not nearly enough time, does anybody have any recent advise on cool places to go/ things to do? I keep my boat in the PNW, and haven't been anywhere warm let alone sailed anywhere tropical.

I have looked at the suggested itinerary on the moorings website and I notice alot of the places they recomend are really close (4NM was one). As much as I want to sit back and enjoy the surroundings I would like to log a few more miles while I'm there. 20 NM is a little more what I was thinking.

And I would really love some info on fishing down there. The moorings has an option to rent fishing rods for 45 bucks a day which I thought was a little steep. But would that include other related gear (i.e. a gaff, which i think I might have trouble getting on a plane with)? Where would be best to drop a line in the water? Stay closer to shore or head out a little further (weather permitting). Is a sailboat fast enough to troll for tuna? What gear do you need?

Lastly... Lobster. Where are they? I will sail 24 hrs a day for 3.5 out of 7 days to get there as long as I can dive for a good amount of dinner. Thanks for any help and input anybody can share.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome