SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any thoughts on a 1983 Hunter 34?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
I've owed a 1981 Hunter 30 for the past 10 years. It was inexpensive to buy, easy to operate, and well constructed. Early Hunters enjoy a pretty good reputation and are very affordable coastal cruisers.

Had I been able to, I would have rather purchased a 34 so as to pick up an aft berth. My 30 is fine for 2 persons, but doesn't have enough room for overnight guests. The salon layout on the 34 is quite spacious for a boat this size.

By all means, have it professionally surveyed. I have encountered 4 issues with my Hunter which you may ask your surveyor to take a look at.

The first involved the chainplates decaying from the inside out. On the surface they looked fine. I replaced them all.

The second involved their point of attachment to a metal frame in the midship bilge area. The frame corroded and one of the attachment points broke off during Hurricane Jean.

The third involved the decay of the metal compression block where the mast support meets the keel. I had to reinforce mine using epoxy.

Fourth, have him closely examine the prop strut for electrolysis damage. Mine broke shortly after I bought the boat so I removed it, had it brazed, and got another 5 years out of it. When it broke the second time, I had to have a foundry cast a new one for me.

Finally, the Bomar opening ports are made of plastic. Over time they become brittle and break. Fortunately, they are still available for purchase from the manufacturer.

Good luck and good survey! I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook