SailNet Community - View Single Post - Navy certification vs US Sailing/ASA?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010

MM225 is on a distinguished road
Navy certification vs US Sailing/ASA?

I'd like to take a sailing course this summer in order to learn how to sail larger boats (I have some experience on Hobie 16s). Cruising around in the Caribbean is something that appeals to me very much. I would also be interested in day sails on the Chesapeake Bay (I'm in DC).

I found a course that I'm interested in at the Pentagon Sailing Club - described on their website as the following:

The Pentagon Sailing Club, based out of Bolling Air Force Base Capitol Cove Marina, offers Basic sailing courses on the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers. We conduct the training aboard our own small keelboat sailing sloops, which range between 22 and 24 feet. All have outboard motors, a full complement of sails, and sparse accommodations below deck. Completion of our Basic sailing program results in the award of the U.S. Navy Basic Keelboat Skipper (B-KBS) certification. This certification is commensurate with US Sailing and American Sailing Association basic sailing programs.

After reading about the course, it sounds like exactly the level of basic class that I'm looking for, and I think it would allow me to decide whether sailing is something I'd like to pursue, or whether I'm better off renting a Hobie at the beach once a year.

I'm open to general advice, but my main question is this: If I do decide that I'd like to pursue sailing, is the USNSA certification widely recognized at sailing schools or charter companies? Some courses I've seen elsewhere have specific US Sailing/ASA prereqs, and I want to be sure I have the correct foundation.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook