SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where to move to ? So Cal or Florida?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010

kelldog is on a distinguished road
This is a GREAT thread!
I live in the Huntington Beach/Long Beach area in SoCal and over the past 3 days we have seen severe weather (for us SoCal sailors) with more to come.
I am a transplant form South Carolina and have been here almost 30 years. I think I can count the major storms like this on one hand. 98% of the time SoCal is pretty nice overall but my peeve is the water is indeed cold. Sooo being a sailor i am also looking to make a move to Florida so that I can have a much broader sailing range and WARM water!
A topic like this lends itself to a bit of political opinion since the topic is the pluses and minuses of CA vs FL and I won't say much except to say CA is in the soup and perhaps worse is to come. Perhaps FL has issues too.
I love Catalina! I sail there as much as I can and last Aug. I sailed my 28ft Trimaran up to the Channel Islands. A great trip but the water is COLD! it did not keep me from jumping in but warmer is better.
So for me it will eventually be Florida and probably the Ft. Myers Area or Marathon. I want good water. At this moment I am looking to sail my Trimaran down through the canal and then over but as my plan developes I may find myself buying another Tri over in that area.
Work will be the issue. My background is R.E and Mortgage. (No, I have no plans to be a RE agent.) I will rent.

Anyway, did not mean to make this so long...that is my vote. Lot's of sailing venues; warm water = BIG for me.
Fair winds,
Kelldog
28/30ft Cross Trimaran
S/V Mystic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook