SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where to move to ? So Cal or Florida?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010

SailingStNick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre View Post
Ok this Naples/Marco Island area is becoming very interesting.

As far as locations we kind of like upscale family type areas with a sense of community . I do not want to offend anyone here but I think more country type or areas considered red neck type locations would not be on the list for us(hey I am from the Jersey Shore originally)
Upon a quick search of Naples - sailboat type waterfront properties makes Ft Lauderdale seem low price. Marco Island seems to have a bit more wider range.However it appears a little isolated(from the google maps-never been there). We would be renting at first due to the continued crashing of the high end market.

thanks for your help!
I have a friend that's the Episcopal priest on Marco. We visited once. From my understanding, it's a snowbird community, so kind of empty in the summer. The population triples to 45k in the winter. Housing is definitely more reasonable (than California for sure, probably than Miami). Upscale, good schools through middle school, then they're bused to Lely High School about thirty minutes off the island. His daughter is doing fine there and has a great group of friends. They're trying to get a charter high school built on Marco.

Isolated? Maybe, but 45 minutes to Naples. Close to the Everglades, and tons of isolated islands to cruise around.

That's all I know. Definitely an outsiders opinion. I try to imagine moving somewhere warmer than the Mississippi coast. Florida is expensive, but nothing like CA!

BTW here's a great demographic tool: MelissaData

Last edited by SailingStNick; 01-20-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook