SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ranger history in Jensen Marine
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2006

DynaMeme is on a distinguished road
Leaky Windows! Seriously, the only shortcoming other than no standing headroom below we ever found.

We owned and raced a Ranger 23 and raced on a Ranger 26 from 1973 to 1977. Gary Mull was a genius. These boats handle every point of sail well though they can be a challenge on a quartering spinnaker run. Frankly that had more to do with spinnaker design at the time. My wife and I sailed our 23 across the Gulf of Mexico from Ft Myers to Destin keeping about 20 miles offshore. The only thing that ever concerned us was being rammed by the dinghy we were towing.

Both boats (and their generational counteparts -- San Juan 24 & 26, Pearson s etc) were so effective on the race course, MORC had to change its rating rule to the 4Q version to stop them from winning. Over night, ugly overgrown unsafe dinghies became the boats to beat.

We tossed the racing burgee in the dumpster and started cruising when that happened.

Our 23 has since been owned by two more people. The second owner was t-boned by a Morgan 3/4 ton, and the Ranger had to be lashed to the other boat's bow to keep it from sinking. He had the boat completely rebuilt and renamed "Sudden Impact." The boat is still club racing under PHRF now that all the 4Q boats are landfill.

Oh yeah, I believe Good Old Boat may have had an article on Jensen Marine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook