SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where to move to ? So Cal or Florida?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha Luckett View Post
This is my first post but I feel I know a bit about both. I grew up in Palm Springs and I lived in San Diego for 7years and worked for the San Diego Teachers Association. San Diego schools are great if your in the right neighborhood, which is usually way expensive. (Beach communities, or higher up Interstate 15) Also you have to keep your boat at a marina etc.. and drive to it. I love the weather in CA. There isn't any better and we've lived all over (husband in the navy) We just bought our 4th house we own three others (Norfolk, VA Guam, Bremerton, WA) We bought in a small community on Tampa Bay Apollo Beach. It's a wealthy community that has been hit hard by the collapse of the market. We picked up a 3000 sq ft house on a canal (no dock yet but we have the option) for 300K. The property taxes with the homestead exemption are way less than CA, and no income tax. The school district here is pretty good. A bit north in the Brandon/Valrico suburbs its a bit better. We're about 25 minutes from downtown Tampa. It's slower paced we know all our neighbors and most of them have school aged children. We're far enough out to not be impacted by the city issues but close enough to go to concerts we just saw U2, go to the theater, restaurants, and museums. I walk to the local nature preserve beach every day and we kayak right behind the house in the canals on the weekend. We have a 17 foot trailer sailer we can put in at a ton of boat ramps. There are lots of canals, access to jobs in Tampa, good schools, relatively low taxes don't forget the car registration part way cheaper here. Less congestion, it reminds me of San Diego in the early 90's before the traffic started getting crazy. The big negative here is the weather in the summer. I've lived in Guam so the humidity doesn't bother me. My answer to the hurricane issue. Bite the bullet get good insurance and find a well built house. I love California my family is still there but it's just to crowded and to expensive, I'll take a few negatives to have a slower more affordable lifestyle. Hope this helps.
Great post - esp for a first one.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook