SailNet Community - View Single Post - Getting older and BETTER!
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoP35 View Post
In one of the other threads the poster was excited about having learned something new. This reminded me of one of the great aspects of sailing.

At 50 I'm a better sailor than I was at 40. I can't say that about any other sport I participate in. Pity the poor golfer who knows he will never play a better round of golf than he played in his 30's or 40's. I know I have the opportunity to be a better sailor 5 years from now than I am today.

At some point our skills will start diminishing, and certainly for certain crew positions athleticism and strength are assets. But when it comes to skippering a sailboat whether racing or just cruising we can look forward to getting better at what we love to do at least into our 60's maybe even longer for some of us.

Yes it's the middle of winter here in the cold Northeast and I'm dreaming of warm weather sailing.
You hit the nail on the head Calypso. To imagine being able to do this for the rest of my life - and always improve and branch out is a tremendous draw. And to know it's something I can do with my kids as long as they can drop me into the cockpit is a great feeling.

It's great having older guys like you around SN to help and appreciate us newbs learning the art of sailing.

Beautiful pics Faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook