SailNet Community - View Single Post - Home brewing kits for yachts???
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
50# of grain usually goes for $35-$55 here. I found a place that sells same for $30. Two five-gallon buckets with sealing lids will hold 50#. I then buy small batches of specialty grains for flavoring up my beers, along with various liquid and powdered yeasts and hops. The grains and hops keep well in the freezer. I do my own grinding of the grain.

For sterilization purposes, there's a quick and easy product I use called StarSan. Minimal rinsing required. Never had a contaminated beer, yet. The stuff is fantastic. When I used to bottle, before kegging, I'd sterlize my bottles in the dishwasher, using no soap. I clean my kegs and lines with PBW, another quick and easy product.

If you shop around, you can get used corney kegs for around $40. O-ring kits are about $3.00. Good idea to replace the rings once a year. CO2 is around $16 nowadays.

Think I'll brew tomorrow. A nice pale ale sounds good. I cook my wort on a large propane burner hooked to a 50 pounder that I use for brewing and/or heating my workshop.

Last edited by carl762; 01-22-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook