SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring advice needed
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010

CascoBay is on a distinguished road
Mooring advice needed

Hi everyone, I have always kept my boat in a marina but the rising cost has forced me out on a mooring at a public beach. I have purchased all my gear as follows:

-300 lbs American mushroom
-3/4" shackle for the mushroom to chain connection
-30' of 3/4" mooring chain
-15' of 1/2" mooring chain attached via 5/8" shackle to the 3/4" chain
-3/4" swivel at the top under the mooring buoy attached to the 1/2" chain via 5/8" shackle
-18" inflatable mooring ball

All the hardware is good quality American made.

The question I have is, I am going to attach the boat to the mooring via 12' of 5/8" 3 strand line, I need some recommendations as to how I should rig this to the swivel.

Here are a few scenarios I have come up with, the best being to obtain a large 1 1/4" shackle that will allow 2 lines to ride next to one another without fighting each other (I will bind them together at the shackle to avoid chafe). The shackle seen in the last photo is 3/4". Is this a common method?

What do you guys think I should do?

Also, let me come clean, I do not have a sailboat but a powerboat, however I have been reading this site for months now and know I can get the right answers here.

Here is a photo of my bow:

I am going to attach a line on each port and starboard cleat, but make one longer then the other to serve as a backup. Is this a good idea Recommendations would be great!

Last edited by CascoBay; 01-24-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook