SailNet Community - View Single Post - LEDs afloat
Thread: LEDs afloat
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
I have added a gallery of our LED replacements. I will keep this updated as we go. http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/showgallery.php?cat=657 The photos show some of the fixtures and special modifications along with brief descriptions.

We have concentrated on the aloft lights for now and will move on into the cabin lights later. In short, I replaced AQUASIGNAL 10 and 20 watt IC bulbs with MARINE BEAM. I added SIGNAL MATE sealed NAV fixtures on the pulpits as installed back-ups. I replaced the 4-1/2 inch diameter sealed beam deck spots (200 lumen; two per mast at the lower spreaders) with MARINE BEAM high intensity 800 lumen single LED spots and floods. There are three per mast at the lower spreaders.

I worked with Michael at BIBI to develope a new fixture for the WINDEX. I was unable to find a proper LED light for this function and so worked with BIBI to invent one. Phots show the first one built. I now have a Beta unit (generation 2). The first emitted too much side light so I added a perforated PVC inverted cap to shieled the sides. The new unit uses an LED with less side emission. I have not installed it yet.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook